Flooring Tips & Tricks
How to Remove Chalk from Your Carpet
While chalk allows children to use their imaginations, adults sometimes pay the price when chalk stains appear on the carpet. Fortunately, those colorful and bright chalk stains on the carpet need not be permanent. Once you notice the chalk stains, clean them immediately to prevent the dust from settling deep into the carpet fibers. Removing the chalk gently and carefully will restore your carpet back to its original condition quickly.
Putting water on the stain is the wrong thing to do, as it will only smear the stain. Chalk is a powder and putting water on it will only make things worse. To remove a chalk stain from your carpet, Chico Carpet One suggests you do the following:
- FIRST: Vacuum the area immediately after noticing the stain. Since chalk is a powder, vacuuming should take care of the majority of the stain. Taking care of the chalk when it's in a dry state is the easiest.
- SECOND: Use a scrub brush or toothbrush to loosen any stubborn chalk residue by tapping, not scrubbing, and then vacuuming should get the rest of the chalk residue off your carpeting.
- THIRD: If the stain persists, apply a dry carpet cleanser or powder cleanser into the area. Dry cleaning solvents are non-oily and non-caustic and are sold as spot removers for garments. Only one caution, they may be flammable.
- FOURTH: Tap dry cleaning detergent with a brush and work the powder into carpet tufts - do not scrub. Scrubbing will only set in the chalk stain.
- FIFTH: Let the powder dry for about an hour or more, if needed
- SIXTH: Vacuum the area again.
- SEVENTH: Repeat these steps until the stain is lifted.
Not all carpet fibers react the same way when treated for stains. Before proceeding with any of the preceding cleaning procedures, we recommend you contact the appropriate fiber company for their suggested maintenance guidelines. Failure to follow these guidelines may void your warranty with them. Click here to view more Flooring Tips & Tricks >
Chico Carpet One is the premier provider of carpet, hardwood floors, vinyl, and other flooring options; providing all major brands of flooring complete with professional installation at affordable prices. Visit our showroom or click to set up a FREE estimate today >