Flooring Tips & Tricks
How to Remove Chocolate from Carpeting
It is important to know how to remove chocolate stains from carpeting. Most people love chocolate and the time will come when you or one of your children will spill or drop some on the carpet. But, don't despair as there is an easy way to lift the chocolate and the stain left behind. Obviously, the sooner you can treat the stain the better. However, there are situations that you will not know about the stain immediately.
To clean chocolate from carpeted flooring, you need a few common household products. These include:
- Dull Knife or Spoon
- Detergent Cleaning Solution
- White Vinegar
- Clean Towel/Sponge
- White Paper Towels
Method for Cleaning
The following will take you step-by-step through the chocolate removal process:
- GET THE CHOCOLATE UP: This may sound weird, but you need the chocolate to dry. After it is dried, take a butter knife and gently scrape the chocolate off, be very careful to not accidentally rub the chocolate into the fibers of the carpet. Vacuum the carpet after you've finished scraping; use the vacuum attachment hose or a hand held vacuum.
- CLEANING THE STAIN: If a dark stain remains on the carpet, apply a detergent cleaning solvent for carpets. Rub the cleaner in with a damp clean cloth.
- BLOT-DON'T RUB: Once you’ve applied the cleaning solvent, use a different clean towel to dab it out. It is important to remember to blot the area and not rub the chocolate stain, as this could just further smear the oils that are in the chocolate further into the fibers of your carpet. The carpet will then need to air dry. If the stain is proving especially stubborn, you reapply the cleaning solvent and try again. Repeat this process until the carpet is clean.
- APPLY WHITE VINEGAR: After the above treatment, dip another clean cloth into white vinegar and dab repeatedly. This is an important step, because white vinegar removes residual detergent, which will attract dirt if left in the carpet.
- BLOT WITH WARM WATER: Rinse by blotting with a cloth soaked in lukewarm water.
- BLOT WITH PAPER TOWELS: Place a thick stack of white paper towels over the stain after you’ve blotted the area with warm water and remove as much of the water as possible. Wait one hour or until the carpet dries completely.
- REPEAT: As long as you see the stain lightening, repeat the steps above steps until it is gone.
If your chocolate stains are more severe and need more than household stain removal techniques, Chico Carpet One always recommends that you call in a professional carpet cleaning service. Click here to view more Flooring Tips & Tricks >
Chico Carpet One is the premier provider of carpet, hardwood floors, vinyl, and other flooring options; providing all major brands of flooring complete with professional installation at affordable prices. Visit our showroom or click to set up a FREE estimate today >